Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Do We Care About Adult Literacy? We Need To!




Daphne Greenberg asks some great questions that we who can read need to consider. 4 out of 10 adults in Canada have low literacy and this is not just an English as a Second Language issue. We are so quick to suggest that it's the foreign workers that struggle with reading, but the truth of the matter is that many of them can read, just not English. But they can read in their own language, so they technically don't get counted in those numbers. But as much as it is a need within in our communities, sadly, those who need to read this message, cannot read this blog. That's a big reason that I like to add a video to my blog, because at least people who might not read very well can get something out of this message.

So what do we need to do? We need to invest into adult literacy programs and give our time volunteer tutoring. The benefits are huge. When a person can read a so many more opportunities open up to them either for employment, or even just their quality of life. It's easy for us to take for granted that we can read. I love to read, and I thoroughly enjoy sitting back and relaxing with my Kindle app on my tablet. A whole new world opens up to me as a read a novel, or non-fiction on a given topic of interest. As a result, I'm learning. But if my only source of information is radio or TV, I'm missing out of so much. But more importantly, if I can't read chances are greater that I will struggle socio-economically. And then what about the children? How does this affect them?

Sadly, low literacy is everywhere and we need to care about it.

Here's a few links to look at: Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education

P.A.L.S. - Changing Lives Through Literacy


No comments: